Saturday, February 20, 2016

2016/02/20 – Big Day, My Seroma, Clipless Pedals, Pope Talk

It’s going to be a big day today in South Carolina and Nevada.
…..

Wednesday night I felt a lump on Trixie’s back, the size of a golf ball cut in half. I was hoping that maybe it was just a swelling caused by her crashing into something while we play fetch in the back yard.

On Thursday it felt the same and she didn’t seem in pain when I pressed on it, so I called the veterinarian and made an appointment.

Without feeling it, the vet said that Labrador Retrievers are prone to fatty lumps, and that’s what it probably is. But when she felt it, she said no, this is something else.

So she left the room to go get some tools to take a sample. Upon taking the sample, she immediately said “It’s not a tumor”.

Of course the scene from Kindergarten Cop came to mind where Arnold says: “It’s not a tumor”.

She went inside to look under a microscope and said that it was a seroma, caused by some physical trauma, and that it was not infected and it will probably be absorbed by Trixie’s body within a couple of weeks.

$113 later, I left the office thinking that if I ever found a lump on my body, I would rather go to her, than my family doctor. And if it was a uninfected seroma, I wonder how long it would take for me to get the results, and how much it would cost.
….

This morning Mike and I rode the Lariat Loop with our road bikes on Lookout Mountain. It was a little scary for me because I forgot my bike shoes, and had to ride with sneakers on my clipless pedals. For those of you who don't know, paradoxically, clipless pedals are the type of bicycle pedals that you need clip your shoes into. 

Balancing the sneaker on top of the pedal was a lot easier going up than riding down. Going up, I could feel the pedal because I was pressing hard on it, but coasting down I continuously felt like I was slipping off.

I survived, and hopefully learned a lesson.
.....

Did you hear that the Pope, when asked about Donald Trump, said "A person who talks about building walls instead of bridges, is not a Christian".  I would have loved to see the shade of orange that the Donald's face turned when he heard that endorsement!

Later,
Steve

No comments: