Tuesday, March 29, 2016

2016/03/29 - The Big Loop, Mountain Lion, Farmer's Daughter

I finally figured out how to connect the Ralston Creek Trail with the Clear Creek trail to make a big loop. 



It turned out to be 31 miles (50 kilometers) with only 900 feet of elevation gain.

As you can see, I did miss my right-turn and continued east on the Clear Creek trail for a while before realizing something was wrong! So the official loop is probably more like 30 miles.

I was actually happy to turn back west, as I was getting into some pretty questionable neighborhoods, with homeless awaking from nights in the tunnels and graffiti abounding.

It reminded me of when I was a boy riding my 3-speed to the other side of the Belt Parkway, exploring the "colored" neighborhoods in NYC. I would eventually get chased back to my side, which always added to the adventure.

I would really like to explore further east on the Clear Creek Trail sometime. It looks like the bike path goes on forever, but I don't know how safe it would be to go alone. 

I'll see if Mike wants to go with me.
.....


We saw this on the way up North Table Mountain on Sunday.

I suspected it was done by coyotes, but my friend Jeff just sent me this 9News link about mountain lion activity on North Table Mountain.
.....

"She was only a farmer's daughter, but all the horse manure."

- Fred Hoffmeyer (get it?)

Later,
Steve

No comments: