Thursday, April 14, 2016

2016/04/14 - Rats!

Here’s one for Throwback Thursday!

When I was in college, back in the Stone Age, I majored in Psychology.

Honestly I thought most of what I learned was total bullshit, except for Experimental Psychology, especially the study of animal behavior.

For two semesters in a row, I worked with rats. I spent endless nights in the school lab training my rats to do some pretty neat tricks.

In one project on chained learning, I had a rat going from station to station pressing levers, pulling chains, etc to get a food pellet at the end.

At the end of the semester we all had to do a presentation, showing off our rats.

One really funny thing to watch is called “Superstitious Behavior”.

Sometimes while reinforcing a specific behavior, you accidently reinforce a twitch or turn that inadvertently becomes part of the overall behavior.

All of our rats had them, and we laughed out loud watching them at the presentations.

Needless to say, I became attached to my two rats (Harry & Hugo), and instead of seeing them turned over to the biology department, I took mine home and built the cage you see in the picture.


They got bigger, uglier, and nasty as they matured and in the end I was very happy that rats have a short life span.

Later,
Steve

No comments: