Wednesday, April 20, 2016

2016/04/20 - Marathon Ride

This morning's ride was a marathon, not only in distance (26.2 miles), but it was also an event.

I had a time constraint today, so I had to get started quickly after my parental duties, in order to get in a long ride.

I'm really enjoying my long flat bike path loops, but I have a bit of a dilemma. If I ride my road bike, it's a longer loop (30 miles) and I have to ride on CO-93 for 2 miles alongside steady 55 mph traffic with a good shoulder. If I ride my mountain bike, I can cut off 5 miles, but the dirt has to be dry. It also has 1.5 miles on Easely Street which has intermittent 35 mph traffic and a poor shoulder. Neither option is ideal, but the short annoyance is soon forgotten when followed by 20 plus miles of safe bike path.

As a result, I'm still searching for the magic route that can be done with either of my bikes, with zero road traffic danger. 

Today's scouting trip was a disaster. 

What looked like a viable solution on Google Maps, got me into some real street traffic, and disoriented for a little while, before I figured out a way to get down to the Clear Creek trail.

Then, after finally finding the trail, I got a FLAT!

Luckily I did an equipment check before leaving the house, and had everything I needed fix it. Otherwise I would have been in trouble because I forgot my wallet and I was 13 miles from home.

Later,
Steve

No comments: