Saturday, May 28, 2016

2015/05/28 - Magnolia Hill Climb

Sometimes I don't know who is crazier, me or Mike. 

We have been looking for a steep hill climb for our training rides in preparation for the Pikes Peak race in August.

Of course Mike picked the Magnolia Hill Climb, which is one of the steepest hill climbs in the area, and of course I was willing. (I can just hear my mom asking "If Mike jumps off a cliff, do you have to jump too?")

Mike had done the climb solo on his fat bike on May 1st and has been talking in awe about it ever since.

We actually drove up to the top with the car beforehand. Mike said he wanted to show me the route, but I know he was just trying to psych me out by scaring the crap out of me.

He succeeded in scaring the crap out of me, but I think the adrenalin actually helped during the climb, as did the mental notes I took of possible relief spots. 

The climb starts out with 2 miles of 14% grade, but after you muscle through that, it gets relatively easier. 

To give the steepness of the climb perspective, it's the exact same distance as the Lookout Mountain Hill Climb, with TWICE the elevation gain. Check it out:



PS: There is absolutely no shoulder, but if you start early (we started at 6:30 AM), there is also no traffic.

Later,
Steve

No comments: