Thursday, May 12, 2016

2016/05/12 - Dandelions


My 11-year old recently asked, “What are those yellow flowers called?” I told her they are dandelions. Then she asked, “What are the white ones called?” I said “That’s what dandelion flowers look like when they get old.”

Now I wasn’t really 100% sure of that statement and started to wonder if the white ones were indeed yellow ones that turned white, or actually a separate offshoot of the same plant that’s strictly for spreading their seed. 

After all, it's hard to figure how those pretty yellow flower pedals will transform into that delicate white puffball. And how come you never see anything in-between?


So rather than risk polluting the mind of an 11-year old with misinformation, I went to Wikipedia for the answer to my question

Alas, I was accidentally correct, but amazed at the process.

Here's a great YouTube video showing a time lapse of a dandelion flower turning into a seed head.

Later,
Steve


No comments: