Monday, July 4, 2016

2016/07/04 - Burnt on the 4th

One of my earliest memories of July 4th was in my uncle Charlie's back yard. My parents were in Florida and my aunt and uncle were watching me.

In the late 50's,  almost everyone shot off fireworks. Kids played with sparklers, cracker balls, and fire crackers, while parents shot off rockets, cherry bombs, ash cans, and other big fireworks.

On this particular 4th July holiday, my uncle had attached a special firework to a tree and when he lit it, it spun around like a big fire wheel. 

But suddenly it got out of control and detached from the tree. Then it flew into the air and landed on my chest, burning my teeshirt as is spun around.

I freaked out and screamed out "F_ _K!'

Everyone on the yard went silent. That was a word that was not spoken in uncle Charlie's house, especially by a child, and in his eye's an offense much more serious than causing me get burnt by fireworks. 

I felt so guilty for the rest of my stay there, but even at that age I saw the irony.


Later,
Steve




No comments: