Wednesday, December 6, 2017

2017/12/06 - Goals

It was only about three years ago that I was proudly telling my friend Carol that I did my first 100 mile week in a long while. I was proud and I thought that it was a big deal, but later as I got into cycling, I realized how easy that was if you have the time.

And once it got easy, I made a goal for 2016 of riding 5,200 miles, for an average of 100 miles/week. 

At this point, I must point out the distinct difference between a goal of 100 miles/week, and a goal of 5,200 miles/year, because it is a world of difference. 

A 100 mile/week goal means riding 100 miles/week in winter, which for me is outside my comfort zone, whereas 5,200 miles/year allows me to build up a excess of miles in summer to use in winter months. 

As December rolled around in 2016, I paniced! I had a few dozen miles “in the bank”, but not enough to keep me from going out on days that were no longer fun. I managed to finish the year with 5,261 miles, meeting my goal, but promising not to let this happen next year. 

Here I am now at the end of 2017 with 25 days and 180 miles left to finish my goal. It might sound easy, but once again I’m panicking!

No comments: