Tuesday, September 4, 2018

2018/09/04 - My annual cycling goal

A few friends know that my annual fitness goal is to ride at least 5,200 miles each year. This will result in an average of 100 mile/week. I think this is a lofty goal and by no means poofda, would you agree?

I set and met this goal in 2016, and again in 2017, but this year I’m in trouble.

The worst part is that when I originally set the goal, I resolved to do it each year thereafter and as long as I could still do it, I’d feel that Father Time had not caught up with me just yet. 

But in June if this year I was 560 miles behind my annual goal! That’s a lot of miles above and beyond 100 miles/week to make up in seven months, especially in winter. 

That scared me and still does. Why was I so far behind? Is this the start of my inevitable deterioration? Am I now to just watch the decline? 

Fuck no... I’m resigned to be the Keith Richards of the cycling world!

As of today I’m only 209 miles behind, and I’m feeling confident that I have a shot. I know it is going to mean a lot of riding while the weather is good, and a lot of suffering when the weather turns, but I’m up to the challenge. 

I’ll keep you updated.

Later,
Steve

No comments: