Wednesday, January 2, 2019

2019/01/02 - Chess960

Lately I’ve been playing Chess960 instead of standard chess. 

Chess960 is also know as “Fischer Chess”, because it was invented by Bobby Fischer, whom many consider to be the greatest chess player of all time.

Fischer Chess uses the same pieces as standard chess, but the pieces (not the pawns) are arranged randomly behind the pawns. 

Supposedly there are 960 possible variations, but I can’t prove that, having forgotten all about permutations and combinations.

I like Chess960 because I don’t know a lot of the standard openings and will lose to a player that does, knowing all the tricks and traps that the openings present.

So I see Chess960 as “pure” chess, without memorization of openings, and I find that I’m better at it than standard chess, holding my own against some really good players. 

I play a lot of chess. I’ve played 5,356 games since I joined Chess.com in April 2014. That averages out to be 3 games a day. 

No comments: