Tuesday, March 1, 2016

2016/02/29 – Ralph Kramden, B&W Images

A good poker player knows when it’s time to fold. I’m not a good poker player, but I realize that it’s time to close down the cookie business.

After suffering three weekends with no orders aside from a few “charity” orders from Val, I’ve got to admit that there is little demand for gourmet cookies to-your-door, and that my advertising strategy failed.

But mostly I was surprised and dissappointed by the lack of support from my neighbors and my new community.

Luckily I didn’t invest much in the venture and most of the supplies will last. I learned a lot about baking, brushed up on my Dreamweaver website development skills, and as I told my mom yesterday, “For the rest of my life I will be bringing cookies whenever I’m invited to someone’s house”.

One thing I did note was that on both days when there was only a couple of hours left to take orders, I found myself actually hoping I wouldn’t get any. That’s not a good sign. It reminded me of my old job, hoping that no more data-fix requests would come in before it was time to leave.

Once again I’m walking away feeling OK because I gave it my best shot. Everyone said the cookies tasted great, and the web site and packaging were very professional.

I’ll just add this to the long list of Stevo’s crazy money-making schemes. It wasn’t that long ago that I was dreaming about becoming a YouTube millionaire, and before that breeding angelfish. And the list goes on and on and on.

My dear old Dad and Ralph Kramden would be proud of me.
…..

I’ve started a new blogger page here called “Black and White” under my Photography tab. Please check it out from time to time, as I will be adding images as I sort through my collection.

Later,
Steve

No comments: