Monday, March 21, 2016

2016/03/21 - Loew's Theater, Wanderlust, I'm Moving

When my grandparents took my parents to movies in the late 1930's, movie theaters were like palaces. Their local theatre, the Loew’s Valencia, had seating for 3,554 people in orchestra and balcony levels. The ceiling was a huge painting of a nighttime sky. Movie-goers would look up from the film and see a clear starry night overhead.

In those days you saw a double feature (that's 2 movies!), the latest government newsreels (remember there was no TV) and a few cartoons.

There was only one choice at the theater and the shows changed every week.

It could be a date-night or a family night out. After supper, people got dressed up and spent the whole night out. Movies were affordable, popcorn and candy were cheap, and in summertime there was air-conditioning. 

My grandmother said sometimes she would go the movies just to escape the NYC summer heat.
.....

I often wonder if people who love to travel are happy with their daily home lives. It's like they always want to be somewhere else.

I'm the opposite of someone who like to travel, (whatever that is) except for someplace that I can reach with my car and sleep outdoors.

Seriously... When I wake up in a hotel room, or someone else's home at 4:00 AM, I'm bored to death. I want to be home with my toys. I want my coffee machine, my pets, my computer, my bikes, my Netflix. I want to make noise. I don't want to be waiting endless hours for normal people to wake up.

But put me in a tent in the mountains, and I'm very happy to be away from home.
.....
BTW... I've been working a little each day on moving this blogaphy to www.hoffmeyer.com. I started with my color photos, and plan to add new ones each day until I run out. I have well over 30,000 images to go through, so it my take a while. Please stay tuned.

The reason I'm moving is because I'm not convinced that blogger will be around for too much longer, and I intend to keep this on the Internet for as long as possible.


And I've started to realize that unless I start organizing all my stuff (pictures, stories, trip reports, and stats) into some place that is accessible, that they will be lost forever.  I'd like to think that someday my stepdaughter might take an interest in cycling, mountaineering, photography, or 14ers, and might find my history in these areas interesting.

Later,
Steve

No comments: