Monday, April 4, 2016

2016/04/04 - A Close Call, 14erGrid, Monkies

I feel like I came within an inch of losing my life today. 

As I write this I'm still a little shaken, for I came extremely close to having a high speed head-on collision.

I was driving my car South on CO-93 on a stretch where it has single lane traffic on both sides, with no medium. 

There was steady flow of traffic on both sides going about 55-60 mph. All of a sudden, without notice, a car from the oncoming traffic got out of control and came at me swerving back-and-forth in my lane with its wheels squealing and smoking.

It swerved all the way over to my passenger side, and then back in front of me to my left side, just missing my car by a hair. 

Within seconds, two nice neat rows of moving cars had turned into a swirling mess of vehicles all over the road. 

I got a chance to quickly look in my rear view mirror, expecting to see a huge mess of collisions, but so far it seemed like everyone was managing to get out of the way. 

But I only got a quick look, because I was still not completely out of danger. I now had to avoid other the other cars that had scrambled over the road trying to avoid the out-of-control car.

Phew... That was a close call. I hope nobody got hurt.
.....

I posted my 14erGrid in my Mountaineering Biography section. I'm planning to hike up some 14ers this summer, and I might as well try and fill in a few more empty boxes!
.....

My dog Trixie told me that her ancestors were wolves, while mine were monkeys.

Later,
Steve

No comments: