Saturday, December 30, 2017

2017/12/31 - Crazy Love

Diane was a young 24, and I was 32. My life at this period in 1982 was a complete train wreck. Amidst mounting financial problems, my wife moved back home to her parents to go to law school, leaving me with all the bills that we couldn’t afford to pay with both our salaries. 

I was drinking too much, smoking too much, and I was spiraling downhill.

And then Diane burst into my life (see previous post). 

But she was even more messed up than I was! Only a few months before we met she was rescued from a car wreck by jaws-of-life and had facial reconstruction. It happened on the way home from a drunk night at the local Texaco bar. 

Needless to say we were perfect for each other, although we never actually were boyfriend and girlfriend. After that first crazy night, she just moved in, and stayed at my house for a couple of months. But she left after our first argument, and took all the stuff that she bought for the house while she was “playing house”. 

That pissed me off royally, and while it was so sweet for her to upgrade my shower curtain, stove top burners, window curtains, towels, bed sheets, etc, it drove me fucking insane when she took them away when she left. And then she demanded I return the radial arm saw which her dad so generally gave me. 

But the icing on the cake was the slap in my face in front of all the neighbors when I returned the saw. 

Little did she know, that slap sealed the fate of any future for us. There was no going back after that. 

I never had, what we had, again. It was crazy love. Maybe the best kind. 

No comments: