Wednesday, April 10, 2019

2019/04/10 - Leadership

It was almost by accident that I became the project leader of a new major application “Estimted Sales & Purchases” (ESP). I wasn’t anybody’s first choice. It just so happend they the project leader quit to go back to his DBA responsibilities. He was also very willing to escape an inter-departmental political nightmare.

It was a challenge for me, but as challenges have gone in my life, I gave it 100%. 

To make a long story short, the project was a HUGE success, and after the first executive Marketing meeting since I took on the project, the head of my department came into my private office, shut the door and said “Usually I dread going to these Marketing meetings, but this year was the first time I was proud and got lots of congratulations. And Steve I know it was all because of you”. 

That was one of the best times of my life. I loved going to work each day and I was a rising star. 

Unfortunately the company was taken over by another giant company, huge series of layoffs followed, and eventually the company moved to Houston, except a small satellite Denver office was kept for a few esssntial employees that refused to go. 

I was one of those “essential” employees. 

Needless to say, I committed career suicide by refusing to go to Houston, and eventually lost all my leadership responsibilities. 

Somewhere along this transition, I realized that needed a new project. That’s when I decided to lead an expedition up the tallest mountain in the North America, Denali. 

Most of you know that story. 

I don’t know why leadership was so important to me in those days, I tend to shy away from it now. 

No comments: