Friday, January 10, 2020

2020/01/10 - A Rude Awakening from Pipe Dreaming

Wow... How my reality can change in a moment. 

I hadn’t heard from my sales person all week. I didn’t want to bug her, so I waited until Friday afternoon to ask for a status report. 

I texted her: “How did you make out this week?” 

She replied “Not good. You may have the wrong person for this. I did not get my foot in a single door, I think it’s my age. They just are not opening the door for anyone over 40”. 

I asked “How about you contact with the 20 stores?” She replied “Never got a response back by email or phone”.

Meanwhile I’ve been working on making pipes all week, high on a dream, thinking I’ve finally found a way to stop spiraling down. 

In my daily budgeting, I even started counting pipes as if the were $5 bills,  counting pipe inventory as money in the bank. What a jerk dreamer I can be...

So now I have a huge inventory of pipes, and maybe another folly. 14erWorld comes to mind. So does cookies, and Brazilian mini-pies. This is embarrassing!

At the very least it gave me hope. And hope is extremely addictive.

I once heard of a man with a gambling addiction. He said it wasn’t the winning that gave him the “high”. It was the excitement from the moment the ball started rolling on the roulette wheel until it stopped. 

That was the period of “hope”. And hope is extremely  addictive. 

1 comment:

Jeff Valliere said...

Sorry Steve, I was rooting for you, but good on you for taking a chance. Keep your head up, I am sure something will stick, I admire your entrepreneurial spirit.