Thursday, January 16, 2020

2020/01/16 - Wouldn’t it be my luck?

I know I’m paranoid, but there were a couple of things that just didn’t add up about my sales-person.

First of all her resume presented a retired woman from a pretty good career. Second, she wasn’t exactly poor. At our first meeting, she pulled up in a nice BWM.

But her story was that she was bored after her first year of retirement and looking for something to keep her busy. She was too good to be true, and I bought it.

During our initial interview she mentioned that she had a sister that was wheelchair ridden, but she could help with assembly, and that her husband was a hobbyist woodworker and could help with the woodworking. She was thinking really big-time mass-production. I was like, “Slow down, let’s start by seeing if your contact likes the pipes.”

In retrospect, I think she was a little too interested in my construction process (in the guise of drainstorming improvement ideas) but that’s probably just my paranoia kicking in. 

I should have thought of this, but I’m such a trusting soul, or as some would say, a fool.

She took my 50 pipes home, she and her family examined them and said “We could make these pipes ourselves. Why do we need Steve?”.

Her 20 store connection (which probably did return her call) was her ticket to stealing my idea and running with it, destined to be the next billionaire weed-pipe magnet. 😎

Sound familiar?

This really didn’t happen, as far as I know, but wouldn’t it be my luck?

No comments: